Sunday, 5 June 2016

T Minus 24

My apologies for the lack of updates but time was marching on!

Betsy is ready for the sea...


And you can follow our journey here...

https://share.delorme.com/GuyWaites

Friday, 27 May 2016

School Boy Error

With the carbon mast base and organiser all prepped up ready to add the final layers of carbon cloth I set about laminating. The cloth wetted out, positioned and placed in to the vacuum bag, the whole lot cured under vacuum overnight...

...yesterday I cut open the vac bag to find softish resin?! Thinking it all through, replaying the process through my mind I had only added half the required amount of hardener to the epoxy resin! The result was a whole day spent scraping carbon and almost hard epoxy off the mast base with an old chisel and sanding away the remaining uncured resin before...

...doing it all again, only this time getting the mix right!

It has drizzled and rained for two and a half days solid but the forecast promises better weather for the weekend, I'd like to get the mast stepped and the rigging prepped so launch day runs smoothly.

Sunday, 22 May 2016

Roll On

Another round with the paint roller and the stowage compartments beneath the quarter berths are done...


Those two little blocks stuck to the inside of the hull are a pair of supports for the plywood bunk tops, there are two pairs either side.

The cabin sole has been tabbed in place with an infill at the forward edge, the infill needs a quick sand and then the whole lot can be painted, I'm looking for a grippy paint but would prefer not to have grit as it wrecks your waterproofs!


At the aft end you can see the black strum box on the end of the bilge pump hose and above that the battery box. I need to cut a lid for the inspection hatch...


The cockpit drains have been enlarged to 38mm internal diameter hose, as you can see they cross over one another...


...then feed down to the Forespar marelon seacock which runs straight out through the old prop shaft tube...


Now... before anyone complains about the use of only one Jubilee clip per hose tail, it took an excessive amount of force to fit each and every one of those hose tails, including immersion in boiled water and Fairy liquid!

Above all this sits the bilge pump, freed from it's plastic bag wrapper now the painting is done with...

And finally, having had just about enough of the smell of oil based paint within a confined space, the Lewmar deck hatch has been sealed and screwed in place...



As soon as the ArboMast sealant has rubberised I can trim off the excess and finally remove the tarpaulin that has been covering Betsy all these months.

Friday, 20 May 2016

Get Organised

Yesterday the cabin sole fillets had a thorough sand and then tabbed down with glass cloth and epoxy.

The rain stayed away all day today so the companionway had it's final coat of pale grey paint, I'll leave it a day or two before I fit the hatch.

The small wooden blocks shaped to support the bunk tops have been epoxied in place with fibre added for a good mechanical bond, and a small infill of plywood has been shaped, epoxy coated and epoxied in place at the forward edge of the cabin sole.

The carbon fibre has been released from it's vacuum bag and enamelled pie dish, trimmed and sanded to fit the mast base collar laminated months ago...


The two pieces were then suck together with thickened epoxy to include a fillet...


Once cured the fillet will get a sand until smooth and the whole lot laminated together with more carbon fibre.

Wednesday, 18 May 2016

Fiddle

It has rained all day so what else to do but some fiddly bits and pieces.

The new navigation lights have been mounted on small rectangles of plywood coated in epoxy, each with a hole for the wires to pass through and potted in sealant.

A series of small hardwood blocks have been shaped to support the bunk tops where they meet the hull.

And, following a search around a local supermarket, the mould for the mast base and organiser has been found...


Eleven pieces of carbon cloth, alternating between biaxial and uni-directional, have been stacked on top of an old school enamel pie tin and then vacuumed to hold it all in place whilst the epoxy cured. A cardboard box and an electric fan heater were used to create a warm oven, now it's sitting on top of the hot water heater in the airing cupboard until the morning.

Tuesday, 17 May 2016

Second Fix

The cabin sole has been epoxied in position, the fillets will need a sand and then I can tab it all in...


The navigation wires have been pulled through but I will need to find some suitable brackets to fit the new LED navigation lights to bow and stern.

The bulkhead has had a coat of varnish having masked off the white areas...


And the forepeak side too...


It's all starting to look very Starship Enterprise!

More paint is on its way so I can finish the companionway and get that hatch in.

Spot The Decorator

Another still, dry day and more painting.

A touch up here and there on either side of the bulkhead, a first coat of white paint on the cabin side of the stowage compartments and the bilge beneath the soon-to-be cabin sole has had a coat of Danboline...


Leaving all that to dry I have trimmed the cabin sole and ground off the gelcoat around its edge so it can be tabbed in place.

And finally, the bottom had it's final coat of antifoul, so we're all set to go!