Tuesday, 1 May 2012

For The Love Of Jordan

Personally, I was never a fan, not my type you might say. I could however see the merit and understood the fascination of others. So now, after much deliberation and the lack of anything better to do, I have finally succumbed to the idea of dragging one around like many others.

The Jordan Series Drogue was invented by Don Jordan for the purposes of survival at sea, protection from large breaking waves that might otherwise capsize or pitch pole a small seagoing craft.

I won't go into the science of it now, that will unfold as things move along. But for now we have the makings of a project, to build our own, a long length of double braid rope, splicing fid, sample of sail cloth, sail maker's thread, stainless steel thimble etc.


Having studied a selection of you tube videos I settled on Andy Wall for his clear instructions of a double braid eye splice, the results of which you can see above.

There's a small fabric cone on it's way to me, whether I buy another 79 or sew my own remains to be seen.

No comments: