Saturday, 15 September 2012

The Long Haul

Rising at 3.50am, the porridge went on and I went straight out... to prepare the trailer for the long haul to Norfolk.

With the trailer board roped to the rear of the trailer and all the lights checked, porridge consumed and fresh coffee downed, I set off for Norfolk at 4.45am. It was a good clear run and I was skirting Norwich by 8.45am. I pulled into a layby to contact Ken, a rendezvous arranged, a meeting and we were off to complete the deal.

Ken and I paddled Betsy around the corner from her mooring at his cottages to the local boat yard where she was due to be craned from her watery home to the high and dry of her newly fabricated trailer.

Somewhere between my measurements and Pete's welding we got lucky, Betsy fits like a glove!

It was a steady run home with a couple of stops along the way to check the straps for tension, we arrived home at 16.20, not a bad run for a 400 mile round trip.


I have already stripped the interior of sails, loose woodwork, cushions, fenders etc. but there is plenty more to do, a long haul indeed!

No comments: